Monday, April 24, 2017

Revision of RCL Project - Paradigm Shift Essay

During my year long RCL class, I have learned many new communication skills I will utilize throughout life. During the first semester in RCL, I penned an essay about a paradigm shift. For my essay, I chose the paradigm shift of violence in video games. While I originally focused on the main idea of technology improvement, personal psychological impacts, and anti-politically correct movements, I spent less time developing counter arguments throughout the essay. I took the time to make a large revision within the paper in which I addressed several counter arguments through a paragraph. This paragraph was added after utilizing mass shootings as evidence of the impact of violent video games in society.

The paragraph reads "It is also important to note that other compounding factors may exist in the increased number of tragic mass school shootings. Video games may not be related in a direct sense, but the general acceptance by teens and parents highlights a disturbing disregard for violent culture. Furthermore, several games also exist in which the shootings of virtual “innocent” citizens can be murdered in cold blood. If video games have not directly led to the increase in more mass shootings, they have at least popularized the act and increased its widespread prevalence. Once the idea of a mass shooting is spread into people’s memories, it cannot be erased. The concept of mass shootings currently exists and continues to spread through mediums like popular video games, and this action cannot be undone."

This essay was later the framework for a TED talk presentation, which I plan on showcasing within my e-portfolio website. The essay and its revised text will also be included to showcase the evolution of my work from written to oral. 



No comments:

Post a Comment